Sunday 24 February 2013

Men...this is not for you!

Dear males of  a nervous disposition. You may wish to disregard this next post as it is likely to contain discussion of certain female monthly events.

Whilst a natural phenomenon, I understand that some men, even women, are uncomfortable talking about menstrual cycles but trying to live closer to nature inevitably leads to accepting the natural physical phenomena of your own body...and there is something slightly empowering about this.

I am still far too English to be dancing naked and publicly displaying my every body insecurity but I am ready to mention out loud the female cycle.

Growing up, it was never an unmentionable topic but there were still remnants of the previous generation when it certainly had been. My much younger brother, at the age of about three, still thought that sanitary pads were ACTUALLY called "You-Know-Whats"!!!

However, whilst the new, greener me advocates women talking openly about their menstrual cycles in a bid to make sure younger girls don't think of it as something dirty or shameful...I have never been comfortable with the financial cost and the wastage that each monthly cycle produces.

Therefore, I have finally invested in reusable sanitary pads. Now...I know that straight away there will be some people who read that and feel disgusted. A fair few months ago perhaps I would have felt the same but still... To them I say very sweetly...get over it! Not only are reusable products used in much of the non-western world already but why is it okay to clean and reuse dirty, smelly, pooey cloth nappies but not sanitary products? Surely there's not that much difference??

At this stage I have only purchased pads bought online through Luxury Moon . I have no experience of other companies but I found Luxury Moon reasonably priced, their website is easy to navigate and delivery is very speedy. I did have a slight delay in receiving them but that was due to our national mail service and not anything at all to do with the company. In the future I plan to also look into alternatives to tampons such as this but I am still doing some reasearch.

I will update at a later stage to share how I get on with this new way of doing things.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my best friends. I swear it's one of the first things I think about when listing 6 must-haves during the Zombie apocalypse. http://www.mooncup.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete